DTC XII: Crossed Paths To One Destination

The usual way I do these blogs is that I feature both wrestlers in the picture. However, due to many events in my life, I have been lacking in the Ring Of Honor and Stardom viewing department. So for this edition of Dynamic Thunder Connection, I am going to be doing all of the 5STAR GP Qualifying matches with the big number 5 between Ema Maishima and Kikyo Furusawa. 


This was a mini tournament to determine the last 2 open spots in the 5STAR Grand Prix when the brackets were revealed back in June. The bracket for this was similar to the Rookie Of STARDOM tournament back in April. Ema Maishima and Akira Kurogane had buy-ins to the Playoff matches. Matoi Hamabe, Kikyo Furusawa, Anne Kanaya & Kiyoka Kotatsu would have first round matches. 


July 4th & July 5th
The Qualifiers kicked off in Imabari, Ehime on July 4th. This featured STARS' Matoi Hamabe taking on Itoh Respect Gundan's Kikyo Furusawa. This was 15 minutes as it is the time limit for all of the 5★STAR Grand Prix matches. The key points of this is limb targeting. Kikyo Furusawa is known for being a limb targeted wrestler in her matches. 


Particularly for her Ankle Lock submission she has been using as a killer blow. This was just fine. The definition of being a simple, standard match which I think was the point and it lack a lot of energy. I know that it's pro wrestling and it's largely unserious to a fault, but I did feel like a bit of a drag. Furusawa would win with the Navarro Death Roll to move on to the playoffs.


The final qualifying spot in the first stage is new Cosmic Angels member Anne Kanaya vs God's Eye's Kiyoka Kotatsu. This was almost turning into the same problem as Hamabe vs Kikyo, however it becomes different when Kiyoka implements her style in the match. Kiyoka Kotatsu won this and Anne Kanaya can never catch a break.


July 8th (Detour)
There is a tournament detours I wouldn't normally take for blogs like this. However, this is an episode of Dynamic Thunder Connection and this featured Ema Maishima and Kikyo Furusawa against each other. So it is getting in here. Ema Maishima teams up with Neo Genesis teammates Starlight Kid and Mei Seira against Kikyo Furusawa and her Itoh Respect Gundan comrades Maki Itoh and Rian.


This started with both of them hammering at each other, which did surprise me. I understood they had a match 3 days after, but damn, they're eager. This was more fun than I expected. The best parts are Starlight Kid and Maki Itoh swapping their usual crowd pleasing maneuvers for one night. 


July 11 - The Final Spots Decider
The final spots would play out on July 11th in Fuji. Akira Kurogane and Kiyoka Kotatsu battled out in the first of two finals and this was really good. Like really good. These two have similar styles of wrestling with obvious differences in how they approach their fights.


Akira Kurogane is definitely cementing herself as one of the best wrestlers in her generation. Kiyoka Kotatsu could go down as one of the most underrated wrestler. Kurogane's limb have been brutalized a lot throughout the course of this. However, Kurogane had answers with her own submissions. 


This match is really good and highly recommend it. It ended with Akira Kurogane hitting the Kurogane Knee (Running Knee) to enter the 5STAR for the first time. Now that is fucking cool.


The last match on these playoffs is big match number 5, Ema Maishima vs Kikyo Furusawa facing off once again. I do recommend it as well since it is on their YouTube channel. This was really good. I just can't help, but remember their first three singles matches as I was watching them. 


It does show how far they have come as wrestlers. I'm not saying this like those first NEW BLOOD matches are horrible which they are not, but in comparison, the most offence in those were just bodyslams, suplexes and dropkicks. Here, we got Sling Blades, Submissions, a variety of pinfalls, etc. But that is really says a lot of Evolution.


Kikyo Furusawa would make it to the 5★STAR after submitting Ema Maishima with the Navarro Death Roll, which I have noticed she has been using more than usual. However, I can't blame her at all. Furusawa joins her Itoh Respect Gundan teammates in the tournaments. 


Maishima/Furusawa Singles Record = 2 - 2 - 1 


5★STAR Grand Prix Qualifiers - Star Ratings:

  • Matoi Hamabe vs Kikyo Furusawa (First Round) (8:22) - ★★★
  • Anne Kanaya vs Kiyoka Kotatsu (First Round) (7:48) - ★★★1/4
  • Akira Kurogane vs Kiyoka Kotatsu (10:54) - ★★★★1/4
  • Ema Maishima vs Kikyo Furusawa (10:25) - ★★★★1/4


5★STAR Grand Prix - Press Conference
We would not end this episode without talking about the 5★STAR press conference. Usually, I would just be mentioning just Akira Kurogane and Kikyo Furusawa, but I will mention someone else as well. 


Akira Kurogane
: "I'm Akira Kurogane. I won the preliminary round yesterday, and I am a newcomer to this tournament. I have no intention of making this 5★STAR easy for anyone. I'll crush everyone, that's all."


Kikyo Furusawa
: "I won the preliminary round, and I am finally here. I am the best 'rookie' and I will fight through the 5★STAR GP 2026 tournament with confidence."

Since I have added both of them, I would like to announce that Akira Kurogane will be an honorary Dynamic Thunder Connection feature. For the duration of the 5★STAR Grand Prix, I will be following her journey in the tournament and who knows, maybe she'll be part of this series as a trio. 

Wait a minute, that means I have to do a lot of Akira Kurogane focused episodes in this trial run. Well that is a revelation I didn't think about after my decision, so that's nice.


The best comment coming from the press conference is from the World Of Stardom Champion Suzu Suzuki. Here is her words: 

"For the most part, everyone just made comments like, 'I will win,' which anyone could say, without really biting at anyone. I wish they'd come at me more, but today's press conference was just boring. Maybe everyone'll start firing up and push me during the 5★STAR GP, but at this rate, they'll probably get devoured by me. 

I do think STARDOM is a strong promotion, but there are too many wrestlers who lack 'enthusiasm.' The Saya Kamitani fever happened and lifted STARDOM to the next level, but it makes me sick to see everyone just settling down right there.

I'm not telling them to do the exact same thing as Kamitani, but let's figure out what we can do best and get 'enthusiastic' about it. If I win the 5★STAR GP while holding the red belt, I think the younger talent as well as the wrestlers with more career experience than me will finally feel a sense of crisis."


POST TIME!!
The 5★STAR Grand Prix already started by the time that this blog is live, and I am already behind on the shows. Luckily, I use the off days in between to catch up on the shows as well as other shows I have missed throughout the days. And use my free time to catch up the previous ones to make it an easy watch.

So Akira Kurogane will be part of the series now on a part-time. That is going to be quite a lot to keep track of since 5STAR Grand Prix is very fast in terms of their shows airing, but with the new format, it is going to get very convoluted as I keep following. Luckily, having a fortunate experience of watching G1 CLIMAX 33 & G1 CLIMAX 34 back-to-back prepares me for this.

Now I am debating my sanity since there is now three people I have write about even for a short period of time. It's now time for the Ema Maishima, Kikyo Furusawa and Akira Kurogane era of Dynamic Thunder Connection. It's called Triple Thunderbolt. 

Join me next time, as we cover a heroic victory to a dreaded ending as me, Pat and Uncle take a look at the entirety of Dream Trine's short Artist Of Stardom Championship reign.


Kind Regards,
ZERO (or Archer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigold Files #1: Did Somebody Say Yoga? (La Vie en Rose's 3D Trios Championship Reign)

A Beautiful Madness turned into US Bootleg Marceline (Giulia's WWE Women's United States Championship Reign)

The Flame Of Heaven Burns (Dream Trine's Artist Of Stardom Championship Reign)