Marigold Files #2: DREAM STAR Grand Prix - Prelude 1

There are a lot of tournaments this year much like every year at this point. I'm sorry my friends, but after following the entirety of the Women's Africa Cup Of Nations, I am walking corpse when it comes to tournaments at this moment. It's either gas up or pass out right now and I'm not even joking.

Credit: Dream Star Fighting Marigold

Especially in the months of June and July, it was madness in the world of sports when it comes to tournaments. I'm delighted and intrigued by the 5★STAR Grand Prix Semifinalists. Ryohei Oiwa is your 36th G1 CLIMAX Winner in which people call of the greatest wrestling matches in the 2020s. 

It was described as rewiring the audience's expectation of what a modern day wrestling match should be like. I haven't watched the match yet. I will watch it once the hype dies down, because I think that all of the hype of when it happens can build up for eventual disappointment. Much like with the wrestler, Hina of STARDOM.

I don't want that type of feeling to be prevalent in my wrestling life at this point. Especially when I was starting to slow down and more likely give up on Ring Of Honor. Anywhere enough of my wrestling commitment issues, let's talk about the DREAM STAR GRAND PRIX.

Credit: Dream Star Fighting Marigold

The annual round robin tournament for the 2 year old promotion called the DREAM STAR Grand Prix. It is the same as any round robin tournament. Multiple wrestlers compete in groups where they will vie for points. Depending on the points and how many people are able to qualify (if there is), you can advance to the knockouts. Then obviously, the two matches you have to compete to win both the semifinals and finals.

Marigold hasn't operated in the whole knockout phase thing I've noticed over the past two tournaments from the information that's been gathered. This year's tourney has expanded from 16 wrestlers and 2 groups of 8 wrestlers each to 24 wrestlers and 4 groups of 6 wrestlers each.

Credit: Dream Star Fighting Marigold

Marigold expanding the format to 24 wrestlers as supposed to the past 2 being 16 wrestlers is an interesting decision. It does make sense from a health perspective that the expansion was done. This year Marigold were riddled with injuries throughout the key names of the roster. And the injury bug can seriously affect a round robin tournament like this. 

For example, STARDOM expanded their tournament twice (or maybe three) and they were more people in the tournament as a result of injuries that happen in the previous iterations. So I understand the reasoning for the expansion even though it does negate the value of being able to compete in the tournament. 

Credit: Dream Star Fighting Marigold

Even though, it's just wrestling. I can't do this to myself man. I really need to get myself outside man. I know I have a job, but I am still in the same position. Maybe I should just give up on social interactions man. At this point, I live on the fucking internet man. I have been listening to FNG rant about Liverpool way too much lately. And that's not even my team. I can't man. How many of these?! 

Anyway, I was thinking about doing a breaking down all of the wrestlers in the tournament, but I am going to make a separate blog just dedicated to the participants in particular. They are a lot of things moving within this one and it's long already. So I will see you all in the next addition of the case file. Goodbye. 


Kind Regards,
ZERO (or Archer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigold Files #1: Did Somebody Say Yoga? (La Vie en Rose's 3D Trios Championship Reign)

A Beautiful Madness turned into US Bootleg Marceline (Giulia's WWE Women's United States Championship Reign)

The Flame Of Heaven Burns (Dream Trine's Artist Of Stardom Championship Reign)